- 2-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- In a nonstick skillet, simmer the chicken, salsa, onion, cumin and oregano until heated through and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the broth, bouillon and pepper. Cook until bouillon is dissolved. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; gradually stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chilies; cook until heated through. To serve, cut chimichangas in half; top with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
We love this recipe. Better still, it’s pretty easy to use fat free half and half and whole wheat tortillas and whole wheat flour and it becomes fairly South Beach Diet (Phase 2) friendly. I double the batch and the leftovers are fought over. Best part: these take 30 minutes, start to table, if you’re starting with cooked chicken. (I usually roast a chicken one day and make these with the leftovers the next.)