Primarily written by Adrienne, a homeschooling mother of seven, ages 10 and under. She chronicles life, laughs, struggles, and lessons learned as she raises a larger-than-most sized family and tries to figure out what she's doing day by day.

With occasional posts, Alexandra, Adrienne's older sister, writes of her ranch life in Nevada and raising four sons, ages 5 and under. Life is never dull and her boys have given her some pretty awesome stories to tell.

Stick around awhile, and you're sure to laugh, nod, smile, be encouraged, and see what life is like with a big (little) family.

7.03.2013

TOS Review: Classical Conversations PreScripts

As part of the Old Schoolhouse Review Crew, I have received one copy of Classical Conversations’ PreScripts Cursive Words and Drawing: Scripture spiral bound book for ages 5-10. I’ve had Liberty, age 9, and Eden, age 8, using it. Since I wanted both girls to do it, I’ve had them work on separate paper, but for the price, it would be well worth buying separate books for each student. It has a lot of trace work that they obviously couldn’t do working on separate paper.

My problem was this: I told Liberty and Eden they got to do this book when we were selected for the Classical Conversations review. They were thrilled. They loved each day’s work, but I realized this PreScripts level was a bit more geared toward those less confident of their cursive skills. More like… Sterling, who hasn’t done cursive at all yet. He could  gain a lot of skill from this book, but when I started this review, I wasn’t sure he was ready for cursive. Now though – I know he can handle this. But…IMG_4776

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’d already told Liberty and Eden they could do it. And they were loving it. A lot. So, I stuck with them practicing their already fairly-good cursive skills. I love that they are writing Scripture each day, and they’ve had a ton of fun with the simple drawings they work on with their lessons. It didn’t feel at all  like busy work, and there was definite progress being made as they worked. It was quick and to the point and thoroughly enjoyable by both girls.

IMG_4772

In the end, I’m rather glad I mistakenly gave it to the wrong kids. Liberty is ten, and Eden is eight, and both fall into the recommended 5-10 year olds age category, and the girls have had a fun, bright spot in their daily work with this. They’ve worked on a two-page spread each day, and haven’t complained once about the work. I’ve been working on their cursive “slant” that has yet to be perfected, and this was a fun way for them to work on proper formation. They’ll finish their copywork in this book, and then I’ll have Sterling start, actually writing in the book to get the benefit of tracing the written words. Sterling will need a bit more instruction since he’s never done any cursive at the ripe old age of six, but the girls haven’t needed any. There is a page at the beginning for parents and a page to describe how to form each letter, but there isn’t a teacher book, no tedious instructions to read to the student, just good solid Scripture to copy and fun little drawings that utilize the movements required for letter formation. The worms (below) were particularly fun. Their only complaint was there wasn’t more drawing to be done. But I’m thinking we should just get an art curriculum for that. ;)

IMG_4775

PreScripts Cursive Words and Drawing: Scripture is spiral bound, contains 146 pages and is $12.99 available here.

To read more reviews of PreScripts Cursive Words and Drawing: Scripture and other Classical Conversations PreScripts Cursive writing programs for ages 3 all the way through high school, visit the Review Crew Blog.

2 comments:

Charlotte Moore said...

How wonderful to see them doing cursive. I worked as a paraprofessional in the school system for over 24 years. When I first stated cursive was being taught in second grade. A few years later it was in 3rd grade. By the time I retired it was just a fly by night thing. Hardly any time was spent working on it at all. It is such a lost art since computers. If you can't write cursive how you ever going to have a legible signature. GOOD for you for doing this. The scripture writing is a BIG plus.

BLESSINGS!!!

Unknown said...

I agree, Charlotte. Further, if they cannot write cursive, they cannot read cursive. As on who chooses cursive over manuscript for the written words... my kids need to learn to read and write it too! Eden write cursive almost always. Liberty only when required. :) I taught them both in Kindergarten, but Sterling will learn it in first. His coordination wasn't quite ready for cursive last year.