Primarily written by Adrienne, a homeschooling mother of seven, ages 10 and under. She chronicles life, laughs, struggles, and lessons learned as she raises a larger-than-most sized family and tries to figure out what she's doing day by day.

With occasional posts, Alexandra, Adrienne's older sister, writes of her ranch life in Nevada and raising four sons, ages 5 and under. Life is never dull and her boys have given her some pretty awesome stories to tell.

Stick around awhile, and you're sure to laugh, nod, smile, be encouraged, and see what life is like with a big (little) family.

6.23.2011

Go away, Mr. Salesman.

Two traveling salesman knocked on my door Tuesday afternoon. It was in the 23 minutes I had to unload the groceries, change the baby’s diaper and all three kid’s clothes, plus my own, and head to town to meet Blaine for his birthday supper out. They told me they needed five. I said I didn’t have five extra minutes. I needed to get things done. They said they were selling extracurricular school books to enhance my child’s public school education. I said I homeschool. They said they sell a lot of their CD’s to homeschoolers, since the mothers often like to plunk their kids down in front of the computer to have that be the teacher. I told them I am the teacher. No computer needed. They said they have lots of informational books. I said I have books. Lots of them. Books I researched thoroughly before I bought them and set in front of my children to influence them and their worldview. They thought I needed more. They wouldn’t leave. And then, I said the magic words. “My school book budget for the year is spent. I have bought all I need; all I can afford.” Ha! They asked to use the bathroom and left. I had two minutes to put away the groceries. Sterling wore dirty clothes to supper.

Next time, I’m going to put groceries away and leave them on the front porch to give their spiel to the dog. Brady seemed to like them well enough. And her book budget for the year is spent too, I’m sure.

No comments: