Primarily written by Adrienne, a homeschooling mother of seven, ages 10 and under. She chronicles life, laughs, struggles, and lessons learned as she raises a larger-than-most sized family and tries to figure out what she's doing day by day.

With occasional posts, Alexandra, Adrienne's older sister, writes of her ranch life in Nevada and raising four sons, ages 5 and under. Life is never dull and her boys have given her some pretty awesome stories to tell.

Stick around awhile, and you're sure to laugh, nod, smile, be encouraged, and see what life is like with a big (little) family.

9.17.2013

Dear Son, you drive me crazy sometimes.

I’ve had an empty container hanging on my wall for three months, waiting for me to be inspired and figure out how to use it in my attempts at decorating. I finally found something looking like this:

branches

at the local craft store. It was $10. It’s a bunch of sticks! We have five acres, surely my dear exploring son has an in as to where he can find me some similar sticks for free. Surely.

Yesterday, with the admonishment that they must be as long as his arm and no fatter than his thumb, he set out. He came back, minutes later, with this:

IMG_4899

I’m not even quite sure what to say. It’s not quite what I was going for. When I asked about thinner, longer sticks, he informed me there weren’t any. Five acres, much wooded, hundreds of trees, and no sticks. Wow.

Turns out, my $10 bunch of sticks at the store is on 50% off this week. I may be paying for sticks, my friends, because empty was better than this.

In doing so, I may break my dear son’s heart. He thinks they’re beautiful. If you come over and see the sticks on the wall… now you know why. I’m not sure I have the heart to tell him it’s not what I had in mind.

8 comments:

Roxanne said...

You could always purchase YOUR sticks and include them in with his - nicely placed, of course.

Unknown said...

Naw, I say keep it just the way it is! or let him keep adding to it or changing it as he sees fit. Can you imagine how great that would make him feel?? Even when he is an adult, he would look back at something like that and feel special.

Unknown said...

He could find flowers and other pretty things as the seasons change and change it around all the time! Oh Sis, you have to leave it! He would so enjoy having something so important as keeping something pretty for you in your home.

Roxanne said...

I still say you could add to it and he would be proud as well. Just saying!

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of your son filling it with treasures. Wild flowers. Bits of bark. Dandelions. Heck. I may get me a container like that and have my son and daughter use the empty lot next to us and the brush behind us to do something line this. Ok we have a patch of trees about 10 ft by 1o ft. I assure u there are sticks for you in there. I will give you a deal at $3.99. All you can take. Lol

Liz

Charlotte Moore said...

Through the eyes of a child. I know what you mean though.

Unknown said...

soooo, what did ya decide to do, Sis? :)

Unknown said...

So far, the sticks stand. I might try to add to them in the future though.