Primarily written by Adrienne, a homeschooling mother of seven, ages 10 and under. She chronicles life, laughs, struggles, and lessons learned as she raises a larger-than-most sized family and tries to figure out what she's doing day by day.

With occasional posts, Alexandra, Adrienne's older sister, writes of her ranch life in Nevada and raising four sons, ages 5 and under. Life is never dull and her boys have given her some pretty awesome stories to tell.

Stick around awhile, and you're sure to laugh, nod, smile, be encouraged, and see what life is like with a big (little) family.

9.08.2013

I can’t do it all.

I can keep the house really clean. I can teach my children their schoolwork. I can cook a pretty decent meal. I can take children to the zoo, I can get groceries for the week. I can wash the laundry and get it folded and put away.

But if I get a good day’s school in, the laundry falls by the wayside. We’re scrambling to finish up school and chores before supper. Supper might be pasta and a jar of sauce. If I get the house good and clean, school doesn’t happen. If we head to the zoo or the store, the house magically falls apart while we’re away.

I can’t do it all.

The verse “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength” haunts me. All things? Me? It’s not happening. I don’t have enough hours in a day. I don’t have enough energy.

I. Am. Exhausted.

So I dug into Philippians 4:13 just a bit more. What am I missing? Why can’t I do it all?

And then I found the verses before (an including) 4:13.

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Just like that, the word contentment comes up. And reminds me: exhausted might just be what I am called to right now. Struggling might just be what I’m called to right now. I’m not perfect. I can’t do it all. But in all things, I am called to be content. So I’ll wade (and waddle) along, striving to do this whole wife and motherhood the best that I can. And when I can’t, I’ll remind myself: I’m not called to a perfect house. I’m not called to gourmet meals. I’m called to walk with my God, serve my family, and honor my husband.

He just might have to find his clean socks in a basket in the living room, though.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

Well said Adrienne. We all need to learn this lesson.

Charlotte Moore said...

Bless you!!! I think you do mighty well. True, we can't do it all when we have too much to do.

GOD BLESS!!!!

Julia said...

It seems I go through seasons where I totally forget this for a while and struggle and fuss until I'll just give up, exhausted. Then it slowly comes back to me... I can't do it all. But I CAN work at finding my contentment in Him.
Good post, Adrienne. :)