Primarily written by Adrienne, a homeschooling mother of seven, ages 10 and under. She chronicles life, laughs, struggles, and lessons learned as she raises a larger-than-most sized family and tries to figure out what she's doing day by day.

With occasional posts, Alexandra, Adrienne's older sister, writes of her ranch life in Nevada and raising four sons, ages 5 and under. Life is never dull and her boys have given her some pretty awesome stories to tell.

Stick around awhile, and you're sure to laugh, nod, smile, be encouraged, and see what life is like with a big (little) family.

6.22.2013

The story of us. Part twelve.


I managed to hold onto my news until Blaine got home. It was one of the harder secrets to keep - I've always at least had Blaine to tell right away. I wasn't sleeping well when he was away and he wasn't due for many more days. I'd been out on a walk earlier in the week when I was approached and propositioned by several men on a street near ours, so I was rather freaked out at the neighborhood we were living in. I was sleeping on the couch in the living room after getting up in the night when the front door was opened around midnight.

Back up. I'm blind. Not really, but without my glasses things aren't so clear. So when my locked door was unlocked and opened in the night, I was awake and in the face of the intruder before I even knew what was happening. It took me several seconds to focus on the face of the man I love.

It was my husband. He was really glad I wasn't armed at that moment. And disturbed that my first reaction was to get in his face instead of running for the kids' rooms.

We began searching in earnest for a house to buy that spring. We finally found one, made an offer, and were under contract. We'd looked at dozens of homes, but none of them were exactly what we wanted. In the end, we purchased a two bedroom home that had been under foreclosure on a small acreage. We bought it in May, gutted the laundry room since it had had a leaky roof and mold was growing, and then filled the propane tank for the water heater. Then, we found out it had a gas leak. 

We moved into the house without hot water, a gutted laundry room, and dripping septic lines. That was just the beginning - and I was six months pregnant with our fifth child.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Charlotte Moore said...

Oh, no!!! What an ordeal!!