Primarily written by Adrienne, a homeschooling mother of seven, ages 10 and under. She chronicles life, laughs, struggles, and lessons learned as she raises a larger-than-most sized family and tries to figure out what she's doing day by day.

With occasional posts, Alexandra, Adrienne's older sister, writes of her ranch life in Nevada and raising four sons, ages 5 and under. Life is never dull and her boys have given her some pretty awesome stories to tell.

Stick around awhile, and you're sure to laugh, nod, smile, be encouraged, and see what life is like with a big (little) family.

5.06.2012

Overtired and scatterbrained, that’s me.

I decided to sew a shirt. It’s cute in the photos. But, in Blaine’s kind words, “Peasant tops just aren’t… you.” I stayed up until 1:30am to try on the finished product, shake my head at my reflection and wish I’d gone to bed at a decent how and skipped the project. So, I’ll make four more, this time knee length, for four fun summer dresses for four little girls, fabric scraps style. It’s so much more fun to sew for them anyway.

Pierce is still in the kids bedroom and it’s going fairly well. Brainstorming once again, I’m going to see if a crib mattress will fit under the crib. If it slides easily, we’ll revise beds once again and save a bit more space with Pierce in the crib instead of the pack and play and Charlotte on the mattress on the floor instead of in the crib. I’m starting to get the hang of this space saving mission. Just as soon as I learn to use the table saw, I’m planning shelves for their clothes. Ditch the dressers, clothes on shelves and in baskets on shelves. Child-rearing, assembly line style. The more the merrier. Or not. You know.

We’re planning to begin our new school year tomorrow. I’d planned for great things this vacation from school that we’re wrapping up. I was going to begin the school year so prepared. Freezer meals. Lists of meals, meal plans, school plans, spring cleaning, painting. Painting’s done. The house is a mess, the list of meals exists only in my head and meal plans are planned for 4:55pm daily. School books are all on the shelf but no plans are made, and spring cleaning has been rescheduled for next year. Turns out, I am horrible at keeping up with the extras. But I combed my hair (and four others), brushed my teeth, and got dressed (and two others) this morning so we’ll call it a success.

Overwhelmed, anyone?

A friend told me today that you can mail anything and everything from your house. I’ve been missing this. About 2-3 times a month I load six kids into a giant van, drive to the closest mailing place, nod and smile to the 9 people who insist on telling me that my appendages are at capacity, and kick the box that needs to be mailed along with my foot because I have a baby on each hip. Or better yet, get inside, kids in tow, and find out no one remembered the package. Frustratingly familiar scenario. Anyhow. Mail packages, from home. How have I missed this?

No comments: